September 15, 2018, Saturday – Historic Main Street Walking Tour at the Mill City Museum
Stroll through Minneapolis’ oldest neighborhood on a guided tour and learn about the rich diversity of the 1850s town of St. Anthony and the immense changes along Main Street throughout the years. Founded in 1848, a few years before Minneapolis, St. Anthony has been a crossroads for many diverse peoples, including Dakota, Ojibwe, Yankees, German and Irish immigrants, métis, free blacks, and Southern tourists accompanied by enslaved people.
Tour landmarks include the 1855 Upton Block, 1858 Martin and Morrison Building, Our Lady of Lourdes Church, the Pillsbury A Mill, and the Chalybeate Mineral Springs.
This tour begins and ends at the gray door on Third Avenue SE at Main Street (around the corner from the A-Mill Artist Lofts’ main entrance at 315 Main Street SE). It includes about one mile of moderately paced walking on uneven surfaces.